Specific purpose: to inform my audience regarding the abuse of animals.
Central idea: violence against animals is commonly undervalued; however, abuse of animals can consequently lead to cruelty and aggressiveness towards a human being.
A. Opening statement: Attitude towards animals is an important aspect of human life that affects the interests and feelings of many people and is reflected in moral and ethical, social, and economic segments (Flynn, 2012).
B. Credibility statement: The topic is significant to discuss as the cruelty to animals contributes to the shaping of a sense of indifference to the suffering of living beings, stimulates the development of aggressiveness and violence towards others (Linzey, 2009).
C. Main points:
- Animals are not human property; their life itself has value.
- Abuse of animals is a sign of extreme social danger of a person who is prone to such actions.
- Animals play a vital role in the creation of ethical and moral society.
(Transition statement: It is worth highlighting that people should not be dominant over animals as they are not human’s property.)
Body of Speech
A. Animals are not human property; their life itself has value.
- Since animals have moral status, they have the rights as well (Flynn, 2012).
- The moral status of animals stems from the recognition of the intrinsic value of animals.
- The intrinsic value of a living being is not determined by its usefulness. It is determined by the ability to percept personal life and well-being (Linzey, 2009).
(Transition statement: In addition, abuse of animals can be a sign of social danger of a man who is prone to such actions.)
B. Abuse of animals is a sign of extreme social danger of a man who is prone to such actions.
- Aggression and violence towards people in most of the cases begin with the abuse of animals.
- According to the researchers, individuals who mistreat animals are likely to commit crimes and torture victims in the future (Flynn, 2012).
- The identity of the murderer is formed at a very early age, up to 12 years.
(Transition statement: Furthermore, animals are significant for the creation of a society with moral values.)
C. Animals play a vital role in the creation of ethical and moral society.
- Animals are an important symbol that represents a particular nation. It is worth stating that on the coat of arms of different countries, animals are depicted as well, namely eagle (the United States, Russia, and Germany), falcon (Ukraine), kangaroo (Australia), and many others.
- Animals unite the whole world. Animals convey important spiritual and moral aspects of the historical events and characters of real people.
- In case when humanity abuses animals, it can threaten society with the loss of a meaningful cultural, ethical, and moral aspect.
(Transition statement: as a result, the abuse of animals is much more significant and burning issue than it might seem at first glance).
Conclusion: the abusive behavior against animals should be punished and regulated as in the majority of cases, it consequently leads to criminal conduct against people.
The topic regarding the abuse of animals is commonly discussed, and that is, the majority of people in the room were aware of some facts.
However, in general, most people tend to thinks that violence against animals is not the most burning issue. As a matter of fact, not everyone knew that aggressiveness against animals could then transform into abusive and violent behavior against human beings as the identity of would-be murderer shapes before twelve years.
The fundamental point of my presentation was to stress the significance of the question as the importance of discussing violence against animals is commonly undervalued. People need to know about all the aspects of this multifaceted issue. The audience wanted to know whether the abuse of animals is a sign of abnormal behavior.
People were familiar with the terminology used, and it contributed to a better understanding of the topic. While doing research on the topic, I have found interesting facts and ideas that did not know about the abuse of animals. It is worth stating that the public was not aware of all the aspects.
Despite the fact that everyone knows that sometimes violence against animals takes place, the majority of people do not conduct research on this question. People were engaged in the presentation, and it was evident that they have discovered the topic under a new angle. This issue demands discussions and solutions. The abuse of animals should be punished and regulated. The audience agreed upon the statements.
The primary goal of the presentation was reached; people were interested in the topic, listened attentively, and asked questions. It shows that the issue touched everyone and stimulated thinking about it. It should be noted that the audience was responsive, and they had some opinions regarding the prevention of animal abuse, and it proves that violence against animals is not acceptable in modern society.
Flynn, C. (2012). Understanding animal abuse: A sociological analysis. New York, NY: Lantern Books.
Linzey, A. (2009). The link between animal abuse and human violence. Brighton, UK: Sussex Academic Press.