The Critical Positioning of the Study in Diabetes Treatment History
The discussed article, which was published in 2012, offered a new approach to treating the second type of diabetes. In particular, the study matched the depression symptoms, which often accompany the problem of diabetes treatment and suggested changing the typical usual care methodology for the integrated treatment approach. The initial statement of the experiment, which constituted the essence of the work, claimed that treatment integration stimulates optimal medication adherence and reduces depression remission. The critical standing of the study may be disclosed if one analyzes the depression implications, which are evoked, in the conditions of typical diabetes treatment. Thus, it is claimed that the patients, who are targeted by diabetes depression, which stems from the hardness of medication adjustment, are likely to receive disease complications. Moreover, the level of mortality in the individuals, who suffer from negative diabetes treatment, is higher than in those, who receive optimal care (Harkins, 2007). Therefore, the development of the new treatment approach might enhance the level of diabetes rehabilitation.
specifically for you
for only $16.05 $11/page
The Discussion of the Study Results
The designation of the study implied the inclusion of two patient groups, who were diagnosed with the second type of diabetes but differed through treatment characteristics. Thus, the first group of the participants was involved in usual care therapy while the second one was exposed to integrated care. The patients from the integrated treatment group were adjusted to antidepressants and hypoglycemic medication with the help of an individualized approach, which engaged an integrated care manager and a professional physician. In contrast to it, the usual care group relied on group treatment methodology, which was suggested by the physicians. The patients underwent a run-in trial and a randomized phase, which, later on, became the subjects for interpreting adherence results. The measurement strategy presupposed a screening of cognitive impairment indicators in the patients from two groups, a sustention of the basic health procedures, and the calculation of the adherence medication doses, which were taken by the patients. According to the outcomes of the experiment, it was deduced that the percentage of antidepressants adherence, in the integrated care, constituted 80% while the other group revealed a 20% result. Moreover, an integrated approach showed a consistent stimulation of reaching depression remission in integrated treatment patients. As a conclusion, the analyzed type of diabetes care demonstrated the optimization of recovery results, in comparison to the typical treatment strategy (Bogner, Morales, de Vries, & Cappola, 2012).
Clinical Implications of Integrated Diabetes Treatment
The primary medical implication of implementing the integrated diabetes treatment approach, in clinical conditions, refers to the extension of intervention teams. Thus, the elaboration of the new methodology suggests developing clear guidelines for depression elimination and setting the new practice in the typical care environment. Therefore, the innovation refers to the promotion of the new educational approach to diabetes training, which involves a complex reformation of learning strategies for the prospective professionals, in the sphere of diabetes care. Secondly, the implications of integrated treatment concern the status of the disease indication. The research study proved that care integration enhances treatment adjustment and, therefore, decreases depression influences. Conclusively, the general social attitude to diabetes care modifies with the reduction of negative treatment effects. Therefore, the new treatment approach relates to the public health and social positioning implications of the new care strategy.
Bogner, H., Morales, K., de Vries, H., & Cappola, A. (2012). Integrated management of type 2 diabetes mellitus and depression treatment to improve medication adherence: A randomized control trial. Annals of Family Medicine, 10(1), 15-22.
Harkins, V. (2007). A practical guide to integrated type 2 diabetes care. Web.