The onset of wireless communications paved way for the aspect of mobility during communication, which is increasingly becoming a core requirement for organizations due to the nature of the present business environment (Bagad, 2009).
specifically for you
for only $16.05 $11/page
This implies that wireless communication is essential for any organization that is to remain competitive in the current business context. There are various wireless technologies that organizations can adopt depending on the volume of data of the organization, the purpose for the wireless network such as voice and data, and the geographical scope of implementation. After analysis of the above, this paper presents a proposal of two wireless technologies that the Party Plates can implement in order to meet the communication requirements for the organization.
Wi-Fi is mostly referred to as Wireless Local Area Network that makes use of high Radio Frequency for data transmission (Bagad, 2009). There are various Wi-Fi standards with each having different transmission speeds. The fundamental objective behind the implementation of the wireless Wi-Fi network standards is to foster standardization during the development of wireless network devices and delivery of services (Rainer & Cegielski, 2011).
The standards are maintained and amended by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) with intent of facilitating hardware interoperability (Rainer & Cegielski, 2011). The wireless networks standards commonly referred to as IEEE 802.11 comes in various standards ranging from A to Y depending on the operating frequency ranges. In addition, there are also IEEE 802 standards that conform to the wireless network standards such as the Bluetooth and infra red (Rainer & Cegielski, 2011).
Advantages of Wi-Fi technology
- Wi-Fi technology also facilitates a cheaper implementation of communication networks Wi-Fi because it eliminates the need of having cables and networking devices such as switches.
- Most communication devices such PDAs, smart phones and laptops have embedded adapters that can receive the Wi-Fi signals.
- An added advantage is that the price values for the chipsets are constantly dropping, making Wi-Fi technology the most economical approach to the implementation of wireless communication.
- The Wi-Fi technology is flexible owing to the fact that wireless networking facilitates mobility in a given scope of the network. Flexibility means that a person can access the network without being confined in single location. In addition, Wi-Fi can be used to facilitate internet access within the organization (Rainer & Cegielski, 2011).
Limitations of Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi technology is more vulnerable to interference because it relies on radio signals, which can be easily jammed (Bagad, 2009).
- Another significant disadvantage associated with Wi-Fi is that it is more vulnerable to data security breaches because the weak encryption standard that it uses such as the Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP).
WiMax is an integration of broadband and wireless technologies that are implemented with the main objective of facilitating internet access over wide geographical areas. WiMax basically serves to replace the traditional internet access methods such as Cable and DSL modem. The current data rate offered by WiMax technologies is 40 Megabit per second, with anticipated improvements to boost it up to 1 Gigabit per second for fixed users (Bagad, 2009).
Advantages of WiMax
- The most significant advantage of WiMax is that it facilitates wireless internet access over large geographical scopes compared to Wi-Fi.
- WiMax facilitates low cost internet access for all the Forth Generation (4G) communication devices.
- Diverse range of communication devices such as mobile phones, laptops, notebooks, gaming appliances are interoperable with WiMax technology.
Disadvantages of WiMax
- WiMax Access is only available in areas that are densely populated and metropolitan areas
- Compatibility issues may arise when using WiMax
Justification for the Decision
The proposed wireless technologies are perfect solution for the communication problems in at the Part Plates. In addition, the technologies are relatively cheap to implement with relatively minimal cost of management. Owing to the fact that Party Plates has various officers in town, WiMax technology will facilitate internet access connectivity of all the officers, while Wi-Fi will allow communication at the office level. Therefore, a combination of the two wireless technologies is the most recommended solution for Party Plates (Bagad, 2009).
Bagad, D. (2009). Computer Networks. New York: Technical Publications.
100% original paper
on any topic
done in as little as
Rainer, R. K., & Cegielski, C. G. (2011). Introduction to information systems: Supporting and transforming business. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.