How often do you freeze up after receiving an assignment to write a research paper? We know how tough it can be, particularly in a flood of possible topics. Choosing that one idea is the foremost step in any academic project.
Lack of inspiration? We made an ultimate list of research topics for college students. You will find art, biology, social science, education, and even more fields. Don’t scour the tons of outdated or dull topics anymore. A much better alternative would be to look at essay samples instead.
What’s more, we prepared three main steps to start converting the chosen topic into a successful research paper. Besides, we will dispel any uncertainty research importance.
Is Research Important?
Before getting into the importance of research, let’s understand what kind of work it is.
Research is an analysis aimed at the discovery of new facts or revision of existing theories. It consists of several steps. The most common are:
- Research methodology setting
- Research problem statement
- Data extraction and gathering
- Assessment of the gathered data
- Conclusions summarizing
What are the purposes of research?
The intentions are countless, but here are the general ones:
✨ to accept or reject a hypothesis;
✨ to gather a set of information on a phenomenon or subject;
✨ to initiate further research or to “dig deeper.”
Why is it important?
Research makes our life easier. The underlying cause of discovering new is to understand how things work. If we acquire that data, we know how to make the practical value of it.
Think of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. As we meet our deficiency needs, its level grows. At the same time, the demand for new knowledge increases. That is why discovering new is a never-ending process.
That is all clear. But you may ask: why do I need a research skill in my day-to-day life?
After graduation, you will most likely continue to need research skills at work. No matter what the industry is. Either you decided to grow in science or form a hi-tech startup. If you want to achieve success, you should have strong research skills.
All in all, having research skills is one of the core elements of personal and social growth. It generates additional findings or sets new questions around existing knowledge.
Now let’s move on to the list of research topics.
Art Research Paper Topics
We start from the study area, which is difficult to measure. We talk about art. For some, it may seem easier to study than exact sciences. But still, the number of questions around various genres, forms, and styles of art is beyond imagination.
Why should we not overestimate the importance of studying art?
Art is not just something for connoisseurs. It has always been and still is vital for the whole society. What affected humanity’s development? Of course, the way people expressed their everyday life or feelings through art.
Besides, thanks to art, we can see things from different perspectives. It makes us critical-thinking and open-minded. And, the most apparent reason, art fills our lives with beauty and elegance.
The art is so diverse so that students struggle to choose from a myriad of research areas. Here are some of the hottest art research paper topics for you:
- The influence of the internet and social networks on art.
- The comparison of modern art in the United States and Europe.
- The representation of art in Lars von Trier’s films.
- The influence of African-American cultural heritage on modern American art.
- What are the features of contemporary art?
- Frida Khalo and her sources of inspiration.
- The role of Kazimir Malevich in abstract art development.
- Art therapy techniques: what are they and are they effective?
- The difference of women’s representation in ancient and modern art.
- Comparative analysis of modern and classic cubism.
- The history and main features of abstract expressionism.
- The relationship between art and globalization.
- The influence of art on the fashion industry in Japan.
Biology Research Topics for College Students
Let’s move on to biology. This science deals with vital processes of living organisms. We’ve gathered a list of topics from different biology fields. You’ll find essay ideas from botany and zoology to genetics.
Research in biology has one distinctive feature. It is the use of research lab equipment. If you don’t use it and base your research on other sources — make sure they are credible.
What are the attributes of a research paper in biology?
Molecular biology, cellular, and other biologic categories imply accurate measurements. There is no place for mistakes here. If so, the relevance of research results is impossible. A researcher should be scrupulous in calculations and statements.
So, feel free to pick up any topics from the list below. Study them thoroughly!
- The impact of global warming on marine life.
- Extensive research of photosynthesis aspects and functions.
- Thyroid hormones and their impact on the female body.
- DNA structure, modifications, and genetic disorders.
- Is it ethical to test cosmetics on animals?
- The ability of living organisms to adapt to changing environments.
- The need for the protection of rare and endangered species.
- The role of sustainability in biology.
- Advantages and disadvantages of organic farming.
- The role of neurobiology in artificial intelligence development.
- The discovery and impact of Darwin’s theory.
- The discovery, history, and importance of vaccination.
- A review of the ecology and biology of the whale shark.
- Performance and quality assessment of methods for detection of point mutations.
- Optical imaging techniques in cell biology.
- Computational methods in molecular biology.
Educational Research Paper Topics
What can be trickier than studying how to study? Education research papers outlive at a rapid pace as the world changes every day. That is why new techniques and approaches are in demand.
No other discipline as education will answer the milestone questions. And the most important is about human nature.
What can make a precious contribution to society? The definite answer is — driving innovations in studying.
Want to remain in history for a breakthrough? Explore educational research paper topics for college students:
- Critical thinking as the primary goal of the educational process.
- Bilingual learning: advantages and disadvantages.
- Educational approaches in retrospective.
- Aspects of multicultural educational practices.
- The importance of inclusivity in teaching.
- Popular modern educational techniques: a comparison.
- Learning methods for blind children.
- The role of technology in lesson planning.
- Role-playing as an educational practice.
- The need for parents’ involvement in the educational process.
- The efficiency of gamification.
- Individual approach to students.
- Popular educational mobile apps.
- Peculiarities of teaching disabled children.
- Same-gender and mixed-gender schools: a comparative analysis.
- Understanding the causes of school violence and bullying.
- The importance of sex education at schools.
- The educational system in America: problems and prospects.
- Cloud computing in educational institutions: an impact on the educational environment.
- Ethical behavior in higher educational institutions.
- Cooperation of educational institutions and businesses: successful cases.
- Information technology as a means of educational process improvement.
- Homeschooling and its influence on communication skills.
- Comparative analysis of distance learning and face-to-face education efficiency.
- Individualized versus group learning.
- The necessity of higher education for all students.
- Best practices of top higher education establishments.
- Peculiarities of teacher’s education in America.
- Multicultural and monocultural education programs: a comparison.
- Comparison of advantages and disadvantages of tablets and printed textbooks.
- Should education be free?
- Education unification: reasons to apply in high schools.
Environmental Research Topics
Our day-to-day comfort is an inherent cause of environmental problems. We may drive a car and have no idea how we harm nature.
Eco activism is a growing trend. Ecology issues acquired a more frequent and lucid coverage. Anyway, people tend to overlook the environment. They gain the idea that we should protect our planet. But not all of them do a real thing.
That is why we need more facts and measures. This can’t be obtained without decent environmental science research papers.
Do you want to be a part of it? Use our list of environmental research topics for college students:
- Risks of climate change and global warming.
- Aspects and perspectives of Kyoto protocol.
- Green hydrogen in automotive: is it a great alternative?
- The origin of the carbon tax.
- Amazonian deforestation, its causes, and trends.
- The greenhouse effect: process, components, and risks.
- Types of pollution: air, water, and soil.
- Alternative energy in Europe.
- Population control in China.
- Geoengineering principles.
- Acid rains: the cause and current measures.
- Radioactive waste disposal.
- The protection of wildlife.
- E-mobility as an environmental protection measure.
- Ecological conservation.
Gender Research Topics
Gender roles and aspects are one of the central social questions nowadays. Studies in that field are as relevant and necessary as never before. It pushes our society forward, eliminates gender inequality and discrimination.
Do you want to contribute to gender knowledge but don’t know where to start? Here is the list of most relevant gender studies essay topics:
- Public policy analysis on gender inequality in education in South Sudan.
- The history of gender concept.
- Gender imbalance in the developing countries.
- Sex reassignment in treating gender dysphoria: a way to psychological well-being.
- Employee issues: gender discrimination, sexual harassment, discrimination.
- Gender roles in couples and sex stereotypes in society.
- The diversity of gender and sexual orientation identities of transgender individuals.
- MeToo movement as sexual harassment fight measure.
- Feminism: the contraception movement in Canada.
- Maternity and paternity leaves.
- The correlation between gender and cognitive abilities.
- The health and well-being of LGBTQA+ young people in Australia.
- Cancel culture in America.
- Transgender healthcare issues.
- Transgender person in professional sports.
- Female genital mutilation.
- Gender roles in media.
Law Research Paper Topics
We cannot imagine a civilized society without law. Even though the fundamental rights and obligations in different countries are mostly similar, there is still a great scope of differences to research.
We gathered the list of law research paper topics to explore:
- Human rights violations in CIS countries.
- A self-enforcing model of corporate law.
- Corporate strategies and environmental regulations: organizing framework.
- Discrimination in the workplace in legal practice.
- Intellectual property law: copyright law, trademark law, patent law.
- Enforcement of civil rights law in private workplaces.
- The establishment of foreign and international law in American courts: A procedural overview.
- Family Law: spousal support after a divorce in Canada.
- Employment Law and Workplace Relations in Saudi Arabia.
- Applicable real estate laws and policies for sustainable development in South Africa.
- Retrospective of the immigration crisis in Europe.
- The need for a domestic violence law in Russian Federation.
- Religious crimes and religious laws.
- Terrorism in different countries’ law systems.
- Grievance procedure in the European court of human rights.
- Cybercrimes in legal practice.
- Human trafficking and slavery in the modern world.
Literature Research Topics
When it comes to literature, there is a vast ocean of ideas to research. The topics can be classified into a large number of categories. Those can be literature genres, awards, trends in literature, different social aspects of literature, etc.
To make your search easier, we conducted a list of the world literature research topics:
- Golden Age writers and their impact on literature.
- Feminist literature authors.
- Y. Zamyatin’s “We” as the origin of dystopian literature.
- Trends of modern literature.
- Ancient Greece literature.
- Is best seller always good literature?
- Tricksters in literature.
- Children literature.
- The works of J. D. Salinger.
- Social perception of modern literature.
- Philosophy, literature, and religion in society: a comparative analysis of the impact on human life.
- The portray of racism in the literature of the 21st century.
- Censorship in literature.
- Professional literature trends.
- Central themes in American literature.
- The impact of digitalization on literature.
- The role of the main character in literature.
- Literature: print versus digitalized?
Music Research Paper Topics
Research is something we can do not only in astronomy or molecular biology. We need it in the music too. Music shapes our life in a way we can’t even imagine. It’s a tremendous social and cultural tool to explore.
These are 20 potential topics for your research in the music industry:
- The effect of music on a human brain.
- The evolution of rap music.
- TikTok as the most efficient promotional channel for new music.
- The origin of music theory.
- The influence of Kanye West performances on the music industry.
- Music journalism: the most influential music media.
- The origin of music festivals.
- Streaming services prospects.
- Music as the way of promotive new trends.
- Features of punk music.
Psychology Research Paper Topics
Psychology is a multidisciplinary kind of field. That means the number of research topics is broad.
Do you need to write a psychology research paper? Explore the list of possible topics:
- Cross-cultural psychology: research and application.
- The psychology of self-esteem: A potential common ground for positive humanistic psychology and positivistic positive psychology.
- Aspects of industrial and organizational psychology.
- The psychology of learning and motivation: skill and strategy in memory use.
- Description of wondrous experiments and their results in psychology.
- Predictors of postpartum depression.
- Symptoms, causes, and treatment of schizophrenia.
- The social, political, and religious reasons of homophobia.
- Eating disorders in males: current progress and challenges.
- The side effects of antidepressants.
- Cognitive psychology: best cognitive scientists’ practices.
- Social anxiety as a constraint in learning.
- Alzheimer’s disease: working strategies for disease modification.
- The relation between the aging process and psychology.
Religion Research Paper Topics
Religious institutions, beliefs, and customs are also a question of research. That is rather a controversial sphere of education, so we gathered the topics below to help you.
Most relevant religion research paper topics:
- The religious significance of the Bible.
- The place of women in Islamic.
- The history of Christianity in Indonesia.
- Assessing a crisis of faith and making a pastoral crisis intervention.
- Forced religion: cause and effect on children.
- The problem of creation mythology in the study of Indian religion
- Existence of God: a philosophical introduction.
- Religion and mythology: concepts, differences.
- The role of religion in attitudes toward LGBT individuals.
- Theology in the concepts of nature, time, and the future.
- Religion and government interaction in the US.
- The history of the Christian church in East Europe.
- The impact of religion on terrorism.
- The God of Israel and Christian theology.
- Culture and religion: how they interact.
- Religion and social morality.
Science Research Topics for College Students
What is a better way to uncover the mysteries of our universe than through science? As it comprises multiple types and directions, there is a vast number of questions to answer.
We suggest you the following science research paper topics:
- Paris climate agreement perspectives.
- Ethical aspects of cloning.
- Political science in the US: past and present issues.
- The current state of nuclear energetics in America.
- Nuclear weapon-free zones: a history and assessment.
- Solid earth dynamics and the evolution of the Antarctic ice sheet.
- Natural hazards: local, national, global.
- Geophysical fluid dynamics: atmospheric dynamics, dynamo theory, and climate dynamics.
- Data science as a key element of data-driven decision-making.
- Robotics & mobility systems in agriculture: successful cases.
- Legal models of space resources exploration and utilization.
- The social context of recycling: factors influencing household recycling behavior.
- Trends in consumer attitudes about agricultural biotechnology.
- Theory of turbulence: a mathematical model that illustrates it.
- Dual-mode infrared and radar hardware-in-the-loop test equipment.
- Essentials of computational chemistry: theories and models.
- Genetic algorithms in astronomy and astrophysics.
- A fundamental relation between supermassive black holes and their host galaxies.
Social Science Research Topics
Sociology is an umbrella that covers dozens of branches. It studies family, social movements, mass media, class theory, race, ethnicity, levels of income. We could go on and on.
As you see, the options of research are endless. Don’t waste your time understanding the peculiarities of each social or cultural branch. Use our list of social science research paper topics for college students.
- Social movements of 21st century.
- Strauss–howe generational theory in marketing.
- Social media as a “hotbed” of narcissism.
- The nutritional status of vegans and vegetarians.
- Gender identity and community among three transgender groups in the United States: MTFs, FTMs, and genderqueers.
- Social causes of anorexia of young women.
- The civil rights in South America.
- #BlackLivesMatter movement and its influence on society.
- Gay marriage in America: current debates.
- Dependency of the children mortality level on the anti-vaccination movement development.
- Judaism in the first centuries of the Christian era.
- School choice and segregation by race, class, and achievement.
- The correlation between race and wealth
- Influence of domestic violence on children.
- The poverty level in the US: a retrospective analysis.
- Women leadership and community development.
Sports Research Paper Topics
We are approaching the end of our ultimate research paper topics list. In the end, there are ideas to research about sports.
It has been present in our lives for a long time and is still developing. That’s why we need to answer new questions and build new knowledge. Explore the list below:
- How does globalization affect sports?
- History of doping scandals in the Olympics.
- Team sports as a socialization tool for children.
- The origin and history of ice hockey.
- Organizational aspects of Paralympic games.
- Aspects of independent Olympians at the Olympic games.
- The unique history of Pelé.
- Risk factors for injuries in football.
- Short interval versus long interval training.
- Nutrient support of young athletes.
- Mental training during competition preparation.
- Philosophical conflicts between the practices of sport and cybersport.
- Running as a treatment for heart diseases.
- Typical traumas of soccer players.
How to Start a Research Paper
After getting familiar with the list of topics, let’s discuss the essential steps before beginning research.
Narrow Your Topic
Let’s say you selected that one topic from the list. What’s next? It’s time to outline the boundaries of the research. It should not be too broad or narrow. Its scope must strictly correspond to the problem’s scope under exploration.
What is the difference between a narrow and a broad topic?
Let’s look at three research topic examples:
- Eating Disorders. The topic is too general and comprehensive. If your research paper requires to be short, then there is no sense in choosing this topic. You better narrow it down.
- Eating Disorders in Young Females. In this topic, we try to segment the subjected populations to specify the research topic. It is still rather broad but more focused.
- Anorexia in Young Females and Its Impact on Society. Here, we distinguish a particular type of eating disorder and leave a population segmentation. That is a perfect example of a narrowed topic. Now, it’s easier to ask specific questions, uncover insights and contribute to further research.
So, the first thing you need is to narrow your topic. It’s challenging to carry out detailed research without this step. Besides, you’ll get a clear path to the research area investigation. If the research idea is too broad, you will get stuck on possible approaches or methods multitude.
That is not what you need.
Instead, focus on your narrowed topic and form a central research question. After that, research the existing data and find answers to it. Don’t be blunt: explore different points of view. Compare and analyze counterpoints and draw conclusions.
After a profound studying, create a thesis statement to support your narrowed topic in a specific way.
To make things clear, use this step-by-step guide on finding and narrowing your topic.
It takes a second to get access to billiards search results in any topic on Google. Most of the time, we jump through the first two or three links, and that’s it. If you seek quality, then it’s not the proper approach. You should acquire the skill of processing the sources.
What are the tips for sources evaluation?
Here are the must-haves for writing any academic project, not only a research paper:
- Forget about Wikipedia as a science source. Wikipedia is a free library where any user can make edits. Extracting information from wiki without fact-checking is a sinister tone. This is what you should avoid both in research or other purposes. Great alternatives to Wikipedia are College e-libraries, scholarly databases, Google Scholar, etc.
- Explore well-respected professional research journals. It contains up-to-date research data and conclusions which shape the most relevant worldview of what is going on now.
- Visit libraries. We tend to overlook them in our digital era. But you can find super valuable sources for research there.
- Avoid personal blogs, opinion articles, and self-published books. There can be heavy use of bias.
3 Main Tips on Writing a Thesis Statement
After you decide on a research topic and sources, it’s time to write a thesis statement.
- Ask a question. Here are two options. In the first one, your professor can assign you a concrete question. If it’s not your case, then ask what interests you. What would you like to explore?
- Give an initial answer. Try to answer the question before in-depth topic exploration. Work out some hypotheses.
- Enrich the initial answer. Proof the initial hypothesis by detailing the research. Use the calculations and quantitative data to make your thesis credible.
To back up these tips, let’s look at a couple of examples thesis statements from the StudyCorgi essay database:
|#||Research topic||Thesis Statement||Outline|
|1||The Rise of Police Brutality against African-American Males||Although the U.S. commissions authorized to address police brutality against African-American men work to prevent such cases, it is possible to speak about the rise of the problem during recent decades in association with racial profiling, the well-known cases of police misconduct, and the development of actions to cope with the situation.|| |
|2||Gender Inequality in Democratic Welfare States||This paper is claimed to evaluate the strategies of Liberal and Social Democratic political forces aimed at the alleviation of gender inequalities. Originally, both strategies cannot be regarded as successful, however, the matters of gender inequalities are engrained in the minds of the peoples, and often, it is rather difficult to undermine the sexual prejudice from the minds. Still, there are more efficient methods of overcoming the sexual disparity, and these instances will be analyzed in the paper.|| |
For more information on writing a thesis statement, check out this article by the University of North Carolina Writing Center.
You’ve just explored an ultimate list of high-quality and intelligent research paper topic ideas. Besides, you reached the top must-have steps to turn those topics into excellent research papers.
Did you find our topics compilation helpful? Save it for a future reference or share with friends!